Friday, October 2, 2009

Dating is Not Life Out of the Ordinary

Years ago when I was a freshman in high school, bemoaning the fact every night in my diary that I didn’t have a boyfriend, I remember drinking in all my youth pastor said about dating. I loved to hear about dating, talk about dating and get advice about dating. Advice that wouldn’t need to be used for a couple of years.

But that’s all behind me now.

Anyway, the one bit of advice my pastor gave that’s worth repeating is this: don’t do anything with a date that you don’t intend to do for the rest of your life. Don’t do things in the courting period that you wouldn’t continue to do if you stayed with this person for the rest of your life.

It’s disingenuous.

If you give her foot rubs every time you see her, ask yourself if you would be willing to do this every day for the rest of your life. Don’t treat this mere girlfriend better than you would your wife!

It’s obvious but… I know you’re desperate to have a girlfriend, but don’t say things you don’t believe just because you think she wants to hear them, or do things you hate and act like you love them. You don’t want her falling for someone you’re not.

Relax.

Be yourself.

Only less narcissistic.

Up next Friday: Dating is Not Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment